General General forums for the GTR community.

Corvette ZR1 trumps GTR

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:18 AM
GTR Member

Thank you camaro, god i dont see why everyone is missing that last bit of track, its a full second or two of track.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

yea im not sure how that runs...

i mean i havent seen the GTR's Video, so maybe they stopped at the same place? or maybe they started the clock early? idk...
Old 07-19-2008, 03:08 PM
GTR Member

This may be a repost. I might have seen it in one of the other GTR vs. ZR1 threads started recently. Garage 419 took both track videos and put them side by side. They put up their own timer and timed the vehicles from the same starting and stopping point on the track. So the results are really independent of the timers on the separate videos.

http://www.garage419.com/episode/419_20080710

The ZR1 clearly wins in this comparison. If you can manage to watch the whole thing, the ZR1 picks up good time in the straights and does not seem to lose any in the corners. But, once again, I would think that the ZR1 should win considering the HP/weight figures and the amount invested in and that will be charged for this car.
We'll have to see what the V-spec can officially do. The problem with the V-spec will be the every day livability of the car. The weight savings will probably come with the cost of more road noise and a more jarring ride. It seems that the ZR1 will actually have a more comfortable ride than the Z06. This is according to a video interview with a GM developer. I can't remember where I saw the video. I'll try to find it.
I still insist that the GTR will be a better all-around car when you consider the backseat and ability to perform in less than perfect weather. And the price difference between the regular GTR (even with mark-ups) and the ZR1 (which will have even larger mark-ups) will make the decision much easier for people like me who can't throw money around that easily.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmsrx
This may be a repost. I might have seen it in one of the other GTR vs. ZR1 threads started recently. Garage 419 took both track videos and put them side by side. They put up their own timer and timed the vehicles from the same starting and stopping point on the track. So the results are really independent of the timers on the separate videos.

http://www.garage419.com/episode/419_20080710

The ZR1 clearly wins in this comparison. If you can manage to watch the whole thing, the ZR1 picks up good time in the straights and does not seem to lose any in the corners. But, once again, I would think that the ZR1 should win considering the HP/weight figures and the amount invested in and that will be charged for this car.
We'll have to see what the V-spec can officially do. The problem with the V-spec will be the every day livability of the car. The weight savings will probably come with the cost of more road noise and a more jarring ride. It seems that the ZR1 will actually have a more comfortable ride than the Z06. This is according to a video interview with a GM developer. I can't remember where I saw the video. I'll try to find it.
I still insist that the GTR will be a better all-around car when you consider the backseat and ability to perform in less than perfect weather. And the price difference between the regular GTR (even with mark-ups) and the ZR1 (which will have even larger mark-ups) will make the decision much easier for people like me who can't throw money around that easily.
i agree with you on 99% of what you said. but i dont think you should be comparing the ZR1 to the GTR. its not fair to the GTR, the closest the GTR comes is on a track. other than that, the ZR1 is really the dominating force. Not to mention the extra 30k worth of bells and whistles GM has put in the ZR1...

The GTR should be compared the Z06. Yes the GTR beats the Z06 convincingly on a track, but that doesnt mean this isnt the level of comparison you'd still need to make.

I think people place TOO much stock in the ring' sucess of the GTR.

For instance... Imagine if they had raced a track with more straightaways? less brutal turns and less of them. You'd see better scores from the Vette's as Godzilla would struggle to hold on.

Now dont mistake what im saying as my trying to bring down the GTR, the GTR is an amazing car with techno out the *** that the Z06 doesnt have. As you mentioned before it is the better car in all weather, and has the ability to sport the back seats. So it IS the more practical car. But what you'll soon come to find, is, in the "Real World" The GTR is the match for the Z06.

Last edited by Camaro371; 07-19-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:00 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro371
i agree with you on 99% of what you said. but i dont think you should be comparing the ZR1 to the GTR. its not fair to the GTR, the closest the GTR comes is on a track. other than that, the ZR1 is really the dominating force. Not to mention the extra 30k worth of bells and whistles GM has put in the ZR1...

The GTR should be compared the Z06. Yes the GTR beats the Z06 convincingly on a track, but that doesnt mean this isnt the level of comparison you'd still need to make.

I think people place TOO much stock in the ring' sucess of the GTR.

For instance... Imagine if they had raced a track with more straightaways? less brutal turns and less of them. You'd see better scores from the Vette's as Godzilla would struggle to hold on.

Now dont mistake what im saying as my trying to bring down the GTR, the GTR is an amazing car with techno out the *** that the Z06 doesnt have. As you mentioned before it is the better car in all weather, and has the ability to sport the back seats. So it IS the more practical car. But what you'll soon come to find, is, in the "Real World" The GTR is the match for the Z06.
+1...good post.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
GTR Member

I'll also have to agree with you on 99% of what you said, but remember that the Nordschliffe does have some monster straights mixed in with the tough turns. It also has some very long sweeping sections that would be considered almost straights in any decent car. The GTR just did so much better in the turns than the Z06 that the Z could not catch up. Your right though, if you had mostly straights or just did highway pulls, the Z06 would win time after time.
I saw another video recently from a guy in the Middle East who now owns both a Z06 and a GTR. He was driving one and his brother was driving the other. All they did was highway pulls and one run from a dig. The Z06 won every time, even from a dig. Of course we don't know how good of a driver either one was, but with launch mode and paddle shifting you would think that the GTR driver would have much less probability of user error. If you want to see the video, google "my Z06 vs my GTR" and you will get a few hits that lead to the YouTube video.
Remember that we are comparing all these vehicles because the manufacturers themselves are doing so. Nissan was out to beat the 911 Turbo, GM made the statement that they would beat the GTR on the Ring with the ZR1, Acura has thrown down the gauntlet to its engineers to come in with a better time than the GTR with their NSX.
If both the GTR and the ZR1 were going for MSRP, I would definitely compare the two and buy the one I liked most. Markups and limited production will probably put the ZR1 out of my reach. To each his/her own, but I like to compare vehicles no matter price, # of doors/seats, fwd/rwd/awd, etc. I will buy the car that I enjoy the most, and to me, enjoyment will have to factor in who I can drive with (just wife or wife and kids) and when I can drive it (snowstorm or 110 degree heat). If the ZR1 put a big enough smile on my face on sunny days, I might throw out the desire to drive a GTR in a downpour. I love it when the magazines do the weird comparisons. Ariel Atom vs. Z06, M3 vs. Evo X, and so on. I do these comparisons in my head all the time.
The vehicles I am considering for purchase next year are the GTR, Z06, 996 911 Turbo or TurboS, 996 GT2, 996 GT3 (or 997 GT3 if it dips below 100k by next year), BMW M3, heavily modded Evo X (modded after purchase not before), and possibly the Viper. Some of these cars are pretty different to put it mildly. I will have to sort them out over the next year and decide which one will be the most fun for me (not for anyone else).

Last edited by jmsrx; 07-19-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

wow, thats quite the array of cars. ha. well my only suggestion is buy the car for a purpose. if you want practicality speed etc. the BMW M3 and Porsche sound like the best actual Cars on that list. Pound for pound the BMW might be the best car in the entire world today with its mix of luxury and performance. And nothing can top the driving expirience of a Porsche. So buy for your purpose.

As for the comparison, i see your point, but when these big companies build and design these cars, they target a specific market. For instance, the ZR1 targets a different market than the Z06, just as the Z06 targets a different crowd than the C6. That is how i compare these cars, by their market status. The market is distinguished by not just price, but purpose behind the vehicle.

Mustang GT- Challenger R/T
Shelby GT500 - Challenger SRT-8

GTR - Z06
GTR-V - ZR1

It is fun to compare an M3 to an Evo at times... but The engineers at the M lab didnt exactly sit around and design their ESP systems to compete with the drift capabilities of an EVO.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 AM
GTR Senior Member

It is fun to compare an M3 to an Evo at times... but The engineers at the M lab didnt exactly sit around and design their ESP systems to compete with the drift capabilities of an EVO.
I agree with most of what you said...but you think the evo has "drift capabilities"? What exactly are you referring to, because drifting in an M3 is much easier than an evo...
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by winkie
I agree with most of what you said...but you think the evo has "drift capabilities"? What exactly are you referring to, because drifting in an M3 is much easier than an evo...

thats what i mean, the guys at M didnt design there program to compete with Evo's any more than the guys at Ferrari didnt design their engines to compete w/ Corvette. The M and Evo both can drift (admitingly it doesnt get any better than drifting in an M3) but they target such different markets that they really are a stretch comparison. Drifting really isnt an important aspect, i just picked it randomly, you'll have to work with me here

When comparing cars, keep it in perspective. compare things that you know are relevant to each other.

Last edited by Camaro371; 07-20-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:15 AM
GTR Senior Member

thats what i mean, the guys at M didnt design there program to compete with Evo's any more than the guys at Ferrari didnt design their engines to compete w/ Corvette. The M and Evo both can drift (admitingly it doesnt get any better than drifting in an M3) but they target such different markets that they really are a stretch comparison. Drifting really isnt an important aspect, i just picked it randomly, you'll have to work with me here

When comparing cars, keep it in perspective. compare things that you know are relevant to each other.
Gotcha. I wasn't really trying to call you out on anything...I caught your drift.

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 trumps GTR