General General forums for the GTR community.

Corvette ZR1 trumps GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:34 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by congoman775
and honestly, id be suprised if the V came out and really did beat the ZR1.

mainly because the gap wont be all that great, and the Zr1 is still looking to get a better time.
Spec V will trump the ZR1.

For the ZR1 to get 7:26, while the base model R35 can do 7:29 puts the Spec V below 7:25.

Consider the ZR1 to be GM's Spec V. So comparing the ZR1 to the base model R35 isn't fair or analogous.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:11 PM

Well from an outsider looking in I would say that yes the GTR is SLIGHTLy faster than a Z06 on a track which isn't to say the Z06 is slow in anyway. They have tweaked the suspension and transmission of the Z06 since it was last on the Ring so it should post a much faster time now and also the Z06 didn't get a running start like the GTR and the ZR-1 had that makes a huge difference right there. Not to mention the GTR didn't have stock tires and is most likely pushing 530-550hp. In any case I think the GTR is ugly as hell and would never own one for that very reason. The ZR-1 has already bested its 7:26 time with a 7:21.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:20 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Skuerth
Well from an outsider looking in I would say that yes the GTR is SLIGHTLy faster than a Z06 on a track which isn't to say the Z06 is slow in anyway. They have tweaked the suspension and transmission of the Z06 since it was last on the Ring so it should post a much faster time now and also the Z06 didn't get a running start like the GTR and the ZR-1 had that makes a huge difference right there. Not to mention the GTR didn't have stock tires and is most likely pushing 530-550hp. In any case I think the GTR is ugly as hell and would never own one for that very reason. The ZR-1 has already bested its 7:26 time with a 7:21.
nobody is saying Corvette is slow or sucks but the GT-R had stock tires. That has been discussed to death by now.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:41 PM

You can also look at it like this the Z06 and GTR are about the same price the Z06 is faster in all acceleration performance numbers minus 0-60 it wins in the Quartermile, 0-100, 0-150 and top speed tests. The GTR is slightly faster on a race track with few straight aways. Z06 = 1 GTR = 1 Very comparible cars and both kings of the road in their own ways. I cant diffenitively say one is better than the other The Z06 can nearly catch a GTR on the track give the Z06 some decent track tires and maybe it will be able to keep up with it a little better. The Z06 is a good bit faster in the acceleration numbers. It really depends on what kind of driving youre looking for.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:50 PM
GTR Senior Member

It depends, too, on the kind of car you're looking for. The two cars are worlds apart in appearance and feeling.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Smile

I am just wondering....has Nissan offered any hard evidence that it did not cheat on it's 'Ring time? I have been busy lately and have not been following up on that news. I'm inclined to agree with Porsche that the Nissan used a modified vehicle.

My apologies if they did offer hard evidence, I just haven't seen it. If someone could send me a link, I'd appreciate it. It would be easy enough to prove, just bring another car down to the 'Ring, have it inspected, and rerun the lap.

If Nissan did, in fact, use racing tires....a Z06 with racing tires would be even faster than it's 7:40 time. Stock ZR1 ran it in 7:22. Racing tires on a ZR1 would have brought that time down in dramatic fashion, in the 6s I am sure.

All of the cars are great and fun to drive, but I prefer the Z06 or ZR1 over any of the Skyline models. I admire the racing heritage inherent in Corvette's long and storied history.

I respect the impressive technology that Nissan has put into it's GTR; however, I also respect that GM is still setting records with a basic, single cam, pushrod engine not far removed from it's 1955 ancestor. There is something to be said for elegance and simplicity.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by wrandall
I am just wondering....has Nissan offered any hard evidence that it did not cheat on it's 'Ring time?
Unfortunately, you can't prove a negative. You can't prove something didn't happen; it's up to the aggrieved to prove something did happen.

If GM or Porsche can demonstrate where Nissan fudged, have at it. Unless and until, the numbers tell the story.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:23 PM

I agree to some extent. No, we cannot go back in time and examine the vehicle; however, Nissan could just easily run the lap again with an inspected vehicle. I know if someone had announced to the world that I had cheated at something, believe me, I would hesitate not one second to see them put their foot in their mouth.

Given it's weight, power, and torque, it does seem more likely the GTR is in the 7:50s.

I do like the GTR, but I am one who view those lap times with skepticism.

I raced a GTR in the 1/4, but I really want to race a competent driver on a nice twisty road course next year.

Last edited by wrandall; 11-23-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:47 PM

If I recall, the latest GT-R v. G2 has the GT-R posting a time in the mid-7:50s under conditions far less than ideal. On a dry and cool track, I think Nissan can shave a lot of time off those numbers.

Can they replicate the 7:29? Who knows, and why risk it when they have the Spec V on deck.

Hey, I drank the Koolaid, bought myself a GT-R, and want the beast to slay every dragon in its path. So far, I've had 1200 miles of happiness.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM

The Spec V has yet to be released....so I will refrain from commenting until then.

In street racing, only thing I've lost to is, I am sad to say, a Mustang GT. I did beat the GTR on a 1/4 track. I ran an 11.34, he ran, if I remember correctly, something like an 11.82.....it was in the high 11s somewhere.

It doesn't really matter....each vehicle appeals to a different audience. One is really not better than the other. Honestly, I'd rather have a Ferrari F430 than any of them....and the Ferrari is the slowest (I think).

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 trumps GTR