General General forums for the GTR community.

New GTR info... from NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 PM
GTR Member

New GTR info... from NAIAS

From Road and Track...

Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn confirmed that the GT-R will be built in Japan. The chassis will be assembled in the company's Tochigi factory while the powerplant will be produced at its Yokohama engine plant. The official logo for the car has also been released. As for the performance of the GT machine, here's what we know so far.

Power will come from a 3.7-liter version of Nissan's VQ powerplant. A pair of turbochargers will help it produce about 450 bhp and 360 lb.-ft. of torque. Because longtime fans of the GT-R are accustomed to more output via aftermarket tuning, Nissan has seemingly left some room on the table for buyers wanting to increase the power of their GT-Rs.

Stock boost pressure will be limited to about 10 psi, but we hear that the engine is capable of handling a lot more. A tamer version of this V-6, codenamed VQ37HR-TT, will make its way into the upcoming Infiniti G35 Coupe. Key differences between the engines are that the GT-R's VQ will have the twin turbo­chargers, lighter pistons and connecting rods, as well as a beefed-up crankshaft. Other custom parts may make their way into the engine, including racing profile camshafts and new valvetrain. It will come mated to a Getrag 6-speed transmission or a paddle-shift sequential automatic with seven or eight gears.

The GT-R will have awesome stopping power, especially if it wears the same brakes spotted during testing at the Ring. Gold-colored Brembo calipers sparkled in the sun as the GT-R attacked the famed Nordschleife. Upon closer inspection, the fronts appeared to be 6-pot calipers. As for the car's handling, we're pretty sure that it will be all-wheel drive, with a new version of Nissan's ATTESA system.

For the record, the car had little trouble negotiating the Carousel at more than 110 mph. Its lap times were reported to be around 8 minutes flat, quite impressive for a test mule on a somewhat crowded track. Could it match or eclipse the Porsche 911 Turbo's time in the 7-minute-40-second range in an all-out effort? The answer awaits us in just a few months
Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
GTR Member

Also, news from the official Nissan USA site:

Nissan GT-R is a go for U.S.

The dream of every red-blooded automotive enthusiast is coming true. On April 12, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO Carlos Ghosn gave the wake up call; the Nissan GT-R is go. The production version will make its world debut at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. It will go on sale in Japan in Fall 2007. U.S. and Canada will follow in Spring 2008.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:02 AM

Awesome !
Old 02-02-2007, 04:12 PM
GTR Member

not sure I can wait, ive been waiting... may end up in a z06
Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM
GTR Member

Not a bad choice.

It will likely be cheaper and faster anyway.

-AL
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
GTR Member

dont ge me wrong, I want a GTR much more, but I think I can get a used Z06 cheaper (id want an 07 for the adjusted suspension that takes away the vettes twitchiness)

if I could afford both Id go GTR.... but the Z06 is great also... Le Mans winning and all
Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM
GTR Member

If it were my money, I'd wait and see how the Nissan dealerships treat the new GTR owners on service. The Chevy dealers I was stuck with in Florida were abysmal. I loved the Vette but the service was just awful beyond words...

You can always scam a used C5 ZO6, on a short lease remainder, at leasetrader.com and wait for news of the GTR.

-AL
Old 02-19-2007, 07:19 AM
GTR Member

Thanks for the info HellBent, but as usual we ALL should know that these horsepower and torque ratings are simply ridiculous. A twin turbo multicam engine putting out the said 10psi would put out far more torque than this as well as horsepower. My inline 6, 3L twin turbo BMW with boost around half that puts out about 300 ft pounds, so this is crazy.

Also, I would be very surprised if this all wheel drive car with such a large transmission would weigh less than a C6Z06, and only have a fraction of the horsepower and torque?---not a chance. The obvious target car is the 911 turbo which far surpasses these numbers and as said is running about equal lap times to the preproduction (and still rough around the edges) GTR.

Obviously, Nissan is sandbagging and holding their hand until right before production and then will still likely underrate numbers . Such comments from Ghosn are hilarious!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
Thanks for the info HellBent, but as usual we ALL should know that these horsepower and torque ratings are simply ridiculous. A twin turbo multicam engine putting out the said 10psi would put out far more torque than this as well as horsepower. My inline 6, 3L twin turbo BMW with boost around half that puts out about 300 ft pounds, so this is crazy.

Also, I would be very surprised if this all wheel drive car with such a large transmission would weigh less than a C6Z06, and only have a fraction of the horsepower and torque?---not a chance. The obvious target car is the 911 turbo which far surpasses these numbers and as said is running about equal lap times to the preproduction (and still rough around the edges) GTR.

Obviously, Nissan is sandbagging and holding their hand until right before production and then will still likely underrate numbers . Such comments from Ghosn are hilarious!

Only time will tell what the true numbers are...

however, it is important to keep in mind that boost has little to do with the horsepower to torque ratio in an engine. It is more a factor of engine design (such as configuration [inline vs. V], crank dimension, cam grind, bore, stroke, and even ECU programing).

Another important aspect of engine design configuration is emissions and durability (longevity). As horsepower climbs emissions and durability become more of an exponential problem. Manufacturers, unlike tuners, are held accountable to various government agencies. They must stay within the guidlenes of emissions standards.

So the HP and TQ numbers for the GTR are more a function of red tape and corporate bean counting than merely what a given engine can produce.

-AL
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Can't wait to test the car. It looks to be a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: New GTR info... from NAIAS