General General forums for the GTR community.

Skyline Imports

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:37 AM
GTR Senior Member

thanks all who have clarified the R33 situation. i learn something new everyday
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 AM

for fact:
1. you can bring over any skyline you want but only r33 between certain years as stated by the nhtsa can be "federalized". the others can be imported by filing a petition for a race track only or show car. u still get 250 miles to drive on the road per year with the latter.
2. jk technologies in baltimore is a RI who WILL do the conversions necessary to "federalize" your r33 gtr. contact and ask them, i did.
3.anyone who says you can not get an r33 gtr skyline legalized is full of $#%@
4. jk technologies has submitted the crash tests and other bull#$%$ as documented here http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf42/69794_web.pdf
5. furthermore the entire package depending on the condition of the r33 gtr you purchase is no more than 35k to 40k
6. J.K. TECHNOLOGIES
3500 SWEET AIR ST, BALTIMORE, MD 21211
convert2us@aol.com

Last edited by gtrhopeful; 08-08-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:49 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by gtrhopeful
for fact:
1. you can bring over any skyline you want but only r33 between certain years as stated by the nhtsa can be "federalized". the others can be imported by filing a petition for a race track only or show car. u still get 250 miles to drive on the road per year with the latter.
2. jk technologies in baltimore is a RI who WILL do the conversions necessary to "federalize" your r33 gtr. contact and ask them, i did.
4. jk technologies has submitted the crash tests and other bull#$%$ as documented here http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf42/69794_web.pdf
5. furthermore the entire package depending on the condition of the r33 gtr you purchase is no more than 35k to 40k
6. J.K. TECHNOLOGIES
convert2us@aol.com
Yes JK is an RI and can import them and can do most of the conversion work. There more to it than just doing the conversion work.

FACT:

They still can't federaly legalize a GT-R because they DON'T have a working OBD2 system which is part of the process.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by gtrhopeful
for fact:
6. J.K. TECHNOLOGIES
convert2us@aol.com
--insofar as show car, as far as i know, this is a temp permit and the GTR must return to it's port of origin after a specified time. i believe it is up to 3 years. and then it must go back. so you cannot keep the GTR.

--as a track only car, you must have it imported under an actual legit sponsored racing team with tax records and racing history to qualify for such a process. and this assumes the GTR will actually be raced in competition. i am unaware of a time limit on it's stay on US soil in this context.

--the fed has currently banned all GTRs post-MotoRex from being fedrally legalized. this overrides any state regulated conversion/ DOT-legal processes. Real GTR mentions OBDII compliance, and this is actually the crux of the issue. in essence, the computer system of the JDM-only GTR will not, cannot, never will hook up to any USDM certified SMOG station's computer systems. the DMV can therefore not have any stats on the GTR's emissions systems documented or known.

therefore, i maintain that the GTR must be imported and reassembled on the stealth, somehow. how you do it is between you and the others involved. and it is illegal.

good luck.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM
GTR Senior Member

The goverment only allows the 33 in because there was crash test data for it initaly. But they specified the years because they knew no one was able to make it OBD2 compatible.

Skyline's 96 and newer never had to have OBD2 when they were built so to bring it up 2 US standards. Some one would have to wire it in. There are 2 protype OBD 2 systems in CA right now but they ran around 50K and they haven't and most likely be approved.

Bottom line Hiro messed everything up for GT-R's the goverment dosent even want GT-R's here.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:59 PM
GTR Senior Member

Nhtsa

government pages:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/
Old 08-10-2006, 10:46 AM

quote"--the fed has currently banned all GTRs post-MotoRex from being fedrally legalized. this overrides any state regulated conversion/ DOT-legal processes"

show me proof! i want to see that. where does the fed say that?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 AM

"VCP" eligibility numbers are assigned to vehicles that are decided to be eligible under 49 U.S.C. § 30141(a)(1)(B), based on a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that the vehicle has safety features that comply with, or are capable of being altered to comply with, all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
Nissan
GTS &GTR (manufactured 1/96-6/98)
R33
1996-1998

NHTSA-2005

now show me where it is banned!!!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Angry Skyline Imports

OK. You guys repeat yourself like scratched CD's. If you see a problem then fix it. Don't argue about it. If you know it's a fraud don't blame the victims. Do something about it. This thread was about Skyline Imports. But now it's about you can and you can't. Instead of letting more people get sucker-ed into this fraud. Let's stop it.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 PM
GTR Senior Member

R32 can be a rolling chassis only. in this manner, sure, it ain't banned. but try to get the whole car here. see what happens to you.

Quick Reply: Skyline Imports