General General forums for the GTR community.

Features of your GTR will VOID WARRANTY

Old 07-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

Features of your GTR will VOID WARRANTY

So like hundreds of others, when you get your GTR the first thing you'll want to do is unleash Godzilla.

Take it down to the Track, go around a few times, see what the car is really made of, do a couple 0-60 times as well as some drag. All the while having a Great Time.

Wrong.

Hidden within the pages of the 'GTR Overview-Review' From Nissan, in the "Warranty/Maintenance" section is a list of things that you would asume are normal but infact, will Void your Warranty.

things such as...

"Turning off your VDC"

"Launch control"

"Racing"

"Modifications, including Reprograming or replacing/adding chips to any of the onboard computers"

"Failure to have required Performance Optimization Services Performed"

and...

"running the summer tires at or below -4 degrees"

So Naturally, after i heard this. I thought, well i just wont do it often, and i wont make it obvious, no one will ever find out or know.

Wrong.

Nissan has already countered this type of thinking. Installed in the car is a box recording all activities and sequences performed by the Car. It records ever action and every press of every button. It even knows where you are. IE The Japanese GTR's will automatically go into Track mode when they drive onto a track. The GPS will pin them at that location and the car responds.

So again, i thought, well ill just get around it by just removing or getting some geek to mess with the box.

Wrong. Again.

Unfourtunatly the Box is extremely secure and sensitive. If it is removed and/or senses it has been Tampered with, the Warranty is Void.

I dont see a way around this. and If some of you do, im sure nissan has already got it covered. This might just mean M3 for me.

Last edited by Camaro371; 07-27-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:51 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro371
So like hundreds of others, when you get your GTR the first thing you'll want to do is unleash Godzilla.

Take it down to the Track, go around a few times, see what the car is really made of, do a couple 0-60 times as well as some drag. All the while having a Great Time.

Wrong.

Hidden within the pages of the 'GTR Overview-Review' From Nissan, in the "Warranty/Maintenance" section is a list of things that you would asume are normal but infact, will Void your Warranty.

things such as...

"Turning off your VDC"

"Launch control"

"Racing"

"Modifications, including Reprograming or replacing/adding chips to any of the onboard computers"

"Failure to have required Performance Optimization Services Performed"

and...

"running the summer tires at or below -4 degrees"

So Naturally, after i heard this. I thought, well i just wont do it often, and i wont make it obvious, no one will ever find out or know.

Wrong.

Nissan has already countered this type of thinking. Installed in the car is a box recording all activities and sequences performed by the Car. It records ever action and every press of every button. It even knows where you are. IE The Japanese GTR's will automatically go into Track mode when they drive onto a track. The GPS will pin them at that location and the car responds.

So again, i thought, well ill just get around it by just removing or getting some geek to mess with the box.

Wrong. Again.

Unfourtunatly the Box is extremely secure and sensitive. If it is removed and/or senses it has been Tampered with, the Warranty is Void.

I dont see a way around this. and If some of you do, im sure nissan has already got it covered. This might just mean M3 for me.
Well, I really don't see anything that you've written that is different from what other car companies claim. The main difference is that the launch control can void your warrantly...however I still have yet to see any specific literature that states this directly. I would imagine that if this is stated, it would have a qualifier statement such as "excessive use of" or something similar.

In fact, I would agree that a manufacturer shouldn't be liable of warranty repairs for the car if it is used as you described above. That's just part of what us modifiers (or racers) risk when we change (or race) the vehicle...it's not as though the entire car will be void of warranty if you mod, but contingent parts would be void. (i.e. if you put on aftermarket exhaust on and later your windshield wiper motor breaks, that will be under warranty although anything associated with the exhaust will be void)

As far as the ECU or "chip" as you stated, this is associated with multiple aspects of the car, but more specifically with the engine...so again, the manufacturer shouldn't be held liable for damage that could be associated with ECU modifications.

As far as "racing" goes...again, the car (at least the JDM version) recognizes tracks and automatically lifts the speed governor that's in place. They know that many GTR buyers intend to go to the track, hence these options were included with the car. I don't think (I could be wrong here) that just taking your car to the track for a track day voids the warranty, but competition driving in timed events could and should void the warranty. This would also go for your potential M3.

Fact of the matter is, if you want to modify, plan on losing at least a portion of your warranty...not just for the GTR but for any car.

As far as BMW goes, unless you use Dinan to mod, you can kiss most of your warranty goodbye (and Dinan prices are ridiculous).

Such is life, you've got to pay to play.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:07 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by winkie

Fact of the matter is, if you want to modify, plan on losing at least a portion of your warranty...not just for the GTR but for any car.

As far as BMW goes, unless you use Dinan to mod, you can kiss most of your warranty goodbye (and Dinan prices are ridiculous).

Such is life, you've got to pay to play.
Federal law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) prohibits the manufacturer from voiding your warranty on account of aftermarket upgrades unless they can prove the part that failed was due to the direct result of the said aftermarket parts. Of course its more technical than that. It's just rediculous that NIssan would include a launch control feature and penalize you for using it.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
GTR Senior Member

camaro, why are so many of your posts so negative?

you've toned it down a bit, but what do you have against this car?

also as for launch control, it is illegal in the US for manufacturers to sell cars with options that will void their warranty, hence the launch control on e46 m3's in the us being reduced from (i think) 4500 rpm to 2500

i don't understand what you're trying to do on here
Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by ultima00
Federal law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) prohibits the manufacturer from voiding your warranty on account of aftermarket upgrades unless they can prove the part that failed was due to the direct result of the said aftermarket parts. Of course its more technical than that. It's just rediculous that NIssan would include a launch control feature and penalize you for using it.
Thanks for pointing out the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

As far as the launch control goes, I still have yet to see any literature from Nissan that shows that it voids the warranty...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by winkie
Thanks for pointing out the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

As far as the launch control goes, I still have yet to see any literature from Nissan that shows that it voids the warranty...
Me either. But I can imagine Nissan voiding warranties b/c someone was using launch control too often (they may consider it abuse?).
Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by ultima00
But I can imagine Nissan voiding warranties b/c someone was using launch control too often (they may consider it abuse?).
Yup, just like other car companies would if you brought in your car that had signs of "abuse".
Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
GTR Senior Member

as I said they can't sell stock equipment that will void the warranty, it's illegal in the US, hence the reduction of the launch point from euro models on other cars (bmw m3) in europe it's different, here stock equipment cannot void warranty with any usage
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
camaro, why are so many of your posts so negative?

you've toned it down a bit, but what do you have against this car?

also as for launch control, it is illegal in the US for manufacturers to sell cars with options that will void their warranty, hence the launch control on e46 m3's in the us being reduced from (i think) 4500 rpm to 2500

i don't understand what you're trying to do on here

omg you should see my M3 forum posts!!!!

here is my moto. before i give my hard earned money for something, i need to know its worth it.

and since im not exactly going to be talking to the GTR engineers.... i talk to enthuisiasts!!!!

i LOVE this car. as i love many other cars...

I just need to know the opinions and thoughts of those who love this car as much as i do... please excuse the negative nature of certain posts of mine, im just testing how the car holds up in conversation. I criticize something or come down hard so that i know im not just another fan boy praising anything in the name. I dont just go on beliving everything i hear or read without testing it.

plus, i dont want someone to bring something like this up when i own the car, and not be able to answer them.

Last edited by Camaro371; 07-28-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
GTR Senior Member

well camaro, i'll take it back, you're fair I just wasn't sure, you're an active member, so props to you

i'll see you out there, thanks for adding to the site

best,

rmatt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Features of your GTR will VOID WARRANTY