GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

2008 GT-R sold out worldwide; Europe and U.S.-bound models to see improvements

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 PM
GTR Senior Member

2008 GT-R sold out worldwide; Europe and U.S.-bound models to see improvements

The order books are officially closed on Nissan's 2008 GT-R. The Japanese supercar has only been available for order in Europe for about a month, but all 1,500 example have been spoken for — with 950 of those orders coming from the UK. Despite European consumers' enthusiasm for the GT-R, European cars will not be delivered until March 2009.

But to keep buyers' interests peaked, Nissan will be hosting several events throughout Europe featuring the GT-R.
Here in the U.S., the 2008 GT-R is also completely sold out, with 60 percent of the 2009 models already spoken for. U.S. buyers will begin taking delivery of their cars in July.
While the GT-R has already been on the market for several months in Japan, the delay will be well worth the wait for European and U.S. buyers. Since the car's Japanese launch, Nissan engineers have made several improvements to the car. According to Motor Authority, U.S.-spec GT-Rs will benefit from harder engine mounts, firmer spring rates and a revised transaxle mount to better prevent drivetrain movement.
Europe-bound GT-Rs will see even more improvements, including an updated steering system and a recalibrated rear-differential.
originally from leftlane
Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Thank you!!

Still hunting for MSRP.. I might have to wait for the Spec-V
Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 PM
GTR Senior Member

Thank you!!

Still hunting for MSRP.. I might have to wait for the Spec-V

well goodluck, and remember that MSRP is somewhat meaningless, the value of the car to you is what you should pay for it
Old 05-06-2008, 02:16 PM
GTR Member

I am on the MSRP train too and the value of the car is worth MSRP to me...

The R35 is the best GT-R ever...

The US Dealerships are killing the sales by not shifting the prices to meet the true market value and calling it a bad economy, priceless.

Nissan North America shoots out canned responses and remains useless in the matter.

Thousands of stubborn buyers refuse to pay mark-ups and the GT-R tanks its first year in the US.

But hey you will have a rare car right!!?!?!!?!!

My predictions are: The Nissan brand name takes the worst hit of all and the dealerships start feeling the pinch where angry shoppers can hurt you the most. By not purchasing your products any longer. I planed on owning a whole staple of Nissan's now I am not sure if the GT-R will even be in my future.

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 05-06-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
GTR Senior Member

well we'll see what happens, i think that people are not happy to pay over MSRP, but we all need to remember that it's a suggested retail price

on most cars, we are used to paying less than MSRP, but we also all need to remember some basic economic principals

in this case, the MSRP is set below the percieved value of the car, so we have people who really want one willing to pay extra for it

that doesn't mean that nissan is at fault, they can't control their dealers, that would be just as detrimental as government subsidies and labor unions, we have a free market, and while it sucks, if people are willing to pay a certain amount for the car, it's worth at least that much to them, so we have to keep that in mind before getting all upset at nissan

it's not nissan's job to control their dealers

think about it like this:

Let's say you own a house that's on the market for $200,000 (it's fair market price). Let's say that you have someone who's interested in the house at that price and you're negotiating the sale. You are not in a contract, but you've just been talking to that potential buyer. You have not traded any money, or signed anything. Suddenly someone comes along and offers you $250,000 for the house. Maybe they really like the land, or they own property nextdoor and it's worth that much more to them. If you were in this position, you would probably take the offer for $250,000. That's essentially what nissan is doing.

Think about it. Sure, it sucks, but it's our economy at work.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
GTR Member

I agree with you on how a capitalistic market works and you have a very eloquent way of making your points. I hate government intervention, as I think that it stifles business. I do however, think that a business has an inherent responsibility to protect its product line from malicious attacks. When the so called "Fair Market Value" has prevented thousands of potential buyers from buying because the prices are to high then someone needs to pull their heads out of there asses and make a decision to lower the prices to what is the true value, acting in the best interest of everyone involved buy readjusting the prices to what will move their product.

First of all no one is offering most of these dealers any extra cash any longer, those days are over, other wise they would have sold all of their allotments, which most haven't. When you call a dealer they tell you what they want over MSRP, and they are not willing to negotiate.

Now, my only beef using your analogy is this... Lets say that that same house is in a neighborhood that has multiple homes selling bellow asking prices but because it is a new fancy design the first couple sell for ridiculous prices. Then there are no buyers for those exaggerated prices. So instead of reading the market and reducing the prices to what will move the homes the builders just sit on their products or make fake orders to be bid on later. The problem with this is that the main company could sale more at the "ACTUAL" Fair market value and get paid for all of their hard work in research and development. Instead they have potential buyers waiting for the prices to come back to a reasonable amount.

But to answer your question yes I would take the 50k+ over my asking price. But I would try not to get greedy and expect everyone to pay that amount while turning down potential customers at the demise of the creatures of the actual product or future of said product in our market.

Capitalism is fantastic! But, make no mistake we live in a mixed capitalist/ statist country! That said, I am by no means asking for more government interventions. Just for a business to act in their own best self interest. The dealerships are out of control and anyone able to pull themselves out and look at the big picture will be able to see this.

I recommend Capitalism, the unknown Ideal by Ann Rand (It is a must read for anyone interested on what is wrong with us today.)

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 05-06-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 PM
GTR Senior Member

well, i'm glad we agree on a lot of things. I'm an econ major, so its easy to see my stance.

if they produced more like you said, they would clearly sell for less, so maybe they're at max production that's efficient for them?

maybe they're unsure how it will really sell? (they can sell 2000 a year, but maybe not 10,000?)

a also agree with the mixed capitalist and statist situation that exists today

it's hard to control what to regulate, and a lot of it is lobbied and very unfair

-matt
Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
well, i'm glad we agree on a lot of things. I'm an econ major, so its easy to see my stance.

if they produced more like you said, they would clearly sell for less, so maybe they're at max production that's efficient for them?

maybe they're unsure how it will really sell? (they can sell 2000 a year, but maybe not 10,000?)

a also agree with the mixed capitalist and statist situation that exists today

it's hard to control what to regulate, and a lot of it is lobbied and very unfair

-matt

Matt,

We could talk for hours on what is wrong with the lobbyist, mainly that they aren't benefiting economic growth and that they are the driving force of our politicians whom by the way are willing to be whatever they need to be to get either elected or reelected.

We could also take a look at the Fed and ask old "Ben" why he is devaluing our currency. Maybe after things get real bad we can get back onboard with the gold standard.

I love economics I have read every book imaginable to better understand it. It has benefited me in my investments plan, albeit a bumpy ride none-the-less.

Back on track, the US allotments aren't selling, at what point do you suggest that Dealerships start to lower asking prices to sell GT-R's???? I am thinking it should have already happened.

-Nate
Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 AM
GTR Senior Member

Matt,

We could talk for hours on what is wrong with the lobbyist, mainly that they aren't benefiting economic growth and that they are the driving force of our politicians whom by the way are willing to be whatever they need to be to get either elected or reelected.

We could also take a look at the Fed and ask old "Ben" why he is devaluing our currency. Maybe after things get real bad we can get back onboard with the gold standard.

I love economics I have read every book imaginable to better understand it. It has benefited me in my investments plan, albeit a bumpy ride none-the-less.

Back on track, the US allotments aren't selling, at what point do you suggest that Dealerships start to lower asking prices to sell GT-R's???? I am thinking it should have already happened.

-Nate

Ok, fair enough, one last comment on econ stuff for me and I'll get back on track.. I really like the fair tax policy suggestion.

could you elaborate when you say that US allotments aren't selling, I thought that they were doing fine and that dealerships are asking for more?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by GTRNate

-Nate

"Here in the U.S., the 2008 GT-R is also completely sold out, with 60 percent of the 2009 models already spoken for"

Am I reading this wrong? Wouldn't this indicate that the US allotments are selling and selling fast?

Quick Reply: 2008 GT-R sold out worldwide; Europe and U.S.-bound models to see improvements