General General forums for the GTR community.

The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
L There are many cars coming out in the next 2 years to compete---LFA, supra, supervette, NSX, super R8, to name just a few.
I'll take a ZR1 and an R8 with the W12 TDI, please...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
GTRForums Staff

Originally Posted by beanboy
Here's a new one:

Bankston Nissan of Lewisville, TX told me that they were very concerned about customers taking GT-Rs and then flipping them for profit.

So, in turn, THEY ARE GOING TO DO 'MARKET ADJUSTMENTS' AND JACK UP THE PRICES THEMSELVES.

Who the hell are they kidding? He actually told me they didn't want customers buying cars to flip. What a fantastic alternative: they are just going to cut to the chase and screw everyone over personally, cutting out the middlemen.

Don't you love $tealers?

Nissan is already considering options to prevent the flipping such as voiding warranties on cars that are resold within the first year. That is ridiculous of the dealer to say though. I do believe a bit of a markup is fine for the first round. Over 10k is silly though. Part of what makes this car appealing is its price point. But it closer to the 100k mark, and cars like the GT3 really come back into the picture
Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Charles
But it closer to the 100k mark, and cars like the GT3 really come back into the picture
Yeah, but the GT3 is a way different kind of driving experience than the GTR. If you're gonna be competing in the kind of events that the GT3 would excel... the GTR might not be as competitive. Especially if you're paying 30k for "market adjustment" and not coil overs, weight reduction, bigger turbos, FIA cage, etc.

Don't worry. This won't be as bad as we think... especially if they do actually do the flip and void the warranty thing.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:31 PM
fjs

Well, I hate to say it but the only way to get one of these is if you are willing to pay a huge markup (my guess is $30k). If you know a dealership that will sell you one anywhere close to MSRP, jump at it! IMO, there won't be any, 1500 cars and roughly 1000 dealerships. Not to mention some dealerships won't even get one. And even the bigger dealerships will only get few units for the whole year!

On top of all, if the weak dollars continue, which it probably will. Who knows how many will be shipped out...

So nothing against the original poster but it's not hilarious anymore. It's reality.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
GTR Member

Soooo true. I'm putting my GT-R dreams in the deep freeze for at least a year. Maybe once the buzz is over and other manufacturers release competitive products, the prices will be more sane. My theory is that Nissan deliberately "underpriced" the car to generate tons of interest. The catch being that supply is so low, nobody will be able to get it for that "low" price.

Originally Posted by fjs
Well, I hate to say it but the only way to get one of these is if you are willing to pay a huge markup (my guess is $30k). If you know a dealership that will sell you one anywhere close to MSRP, jump at it! IMO, there won't be any, 1500 cars and roughly 1000 dealerships. Not to mention some dealerships won't even get one. And even the bigger dealerships will only get few units for the whole year!

On top of all, if the weak dollars continue, which it probably will. Who knows how many will be shipped out...

So nothing against the original poster but it's not hilarious anymore. It's reality.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 AM
GTRForums Staff

Originally Posted by fjs

Its only hilarious because there are plenty not marking them up that far. Hilarious is especially one user that noted a 60k markup. IMO, 20K is where it becomes ridiculous on a 70k car. Those are the type of markups you see on 500/year exotics.

Additionally, i bet they will make more when they are sure of demand. Everyone freaked out about the elise making for 1 year plus wait lists right off the start and big markups. Once they started to hit our shores, Lotus ramped up production, and very quickly you could find them in stock at msrp.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Charles
Everyone freaked out about the elise making for 1 year plus wait lists right off the start and big markups. Once they started to hit our shores, Lotus ramped up production, and very quickly you could find them in stock at msrp.
...and that was during the beginning of the dollar's slide against the Euro. They priced the car low, lost out on the dollar's slide... amped production to recover the loss forcing dealers to buy a lot of inventory (which they were happy to do because of the initial crazy demand). Now, they cannot give them away. Manhattan Motor Cars has quite a few Elises (brand new) sitting on the 4th floor. You can probably get a 10% to 15% discount on them.

In other news, I hear that Scuderias are already being traded at 100k over. Half the price and 4 less cylinders than an Enzo... with the same performance. Seems like a bargain.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:34 PM
GTR Member

The buzz on the GT-R is so intense, I think it will be different than those examples mentioned. Every time I hang out at the magazine rack these days looking at car mags, I run across a dozen people who are "gonna get it when the price comes down". With 1500 cars produced, the demand will be astronomical. I'll be happy to see the first verifiable example where someone gets this car and doesn't pay at least $20K over MSRP.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 AM
GTR Member

The Nissan in my city is saying there only marking it up 2995 or so over msrp!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
GTR Member

I can't imagine Alaska getting more than a handful of GT-Rs, so that would be truly amazing.

Quick Reply: The official hilarious markup thread. Dealers listing crazy markups