General General forums for the GTR community.

Oh man... we got slayed. Viper 7:22 at the Ring

Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 PM

Oh man... we got slayed. Viper 7:22 at the Ring

Wow.. not the first post I wanted to make here. Anyways.......

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ord/index.html
Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 AM
GTR Senior Member

The ACR viper is a true racing machine, and I have always wanted to know what it could do at the ring. Not to rain on their parade, but the ACR viper is more of a race car than a daily driver. No radio, no sound dampening, a front lip that has to be removed to legally drive on the streets (in America)...this car is serious business racing from the factory. I would imagine there will be some similarities between the ACR and the V spec GTR (including the 100k price tag). Again, this accomplishment for the viper is awesome, but comparing the viper to the current GTR is comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Working
Wow.. not the first post I wanted to make here. Anyways.......

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ord/index.html
It puzzles me. How about a better comparison? It's just like comparing the ZR-1 to the GTR, if you really wanted to do a good comparo:

Base GTR to Z06
V-spec to ZR-1, ACR
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
GTR Member

I guess the v-spec did an unofficial 7.25 earlier this year. They have well over a year to work on the details before it comes to market. I'm guessing that they can shave anywhere from 2-10 seconds from that time. But this is all just conjecture. The SRT team also thought that they could get into the teens with more track time. Still just conjecture. Only time will tell.
James
Old 08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
GTR Senior Member

Have you all read the new motortrend? The viper ACR is pretty but a barely legal track toy. The ride is extremely harsh and not something that could be put up with on a daily basis.

There are rumors of a much lower than 7:25 Spec V run so I guess we will see. Just watching that pro driver have to fight with the car to keep it on the track makes me think that the average or slightly above driver would have sent it into the guard rail. Not something I would ever want to worry about.

EDIT: Something I thought was interesting, the car is about 1 step from being non street legal,
A note on the two Viper ACRs: Except for a Racetech seat with a six-point harness, each ACR is factory stock and fitted with the Hard Core package, a no-cost option that cuts 40 pounds off the curb weight. About 10 percent of ACR customers order the HCP, which deletes the audio system, trunk carpet, rear cabin sound insulation, tire inflator kit, hood insulator, and steel battery cover.
street car Source
I doubt I will find any of these cars at the local meets, I don't see this as a huge victory for dodge, could you image if they completely strip a GT-R or ZR1 of every non essential part.

Last edited by Catapult5; 08-28-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by winkie
The ACR viper is a true racing machine, and I have always wanted to know what it could do at the ring. Not to rain on their parade, but the ACR viper is more of a race car than a daily driver. No radio, no sound dampening, a front lip that has to be removed to legally drive on the streets (in America)...this car is serious business racing from the factory. I would imagine there will be some similarities between the ACR and the V spec GTR (including the 100k price tag). Again, this accomplishment for the viper is awesome, but comparing the viper to the current GTR is comparing apples to oranges in my opinion.
I have to disagree, the ACR is a very streetable car. It made the 2,000+ mile drive to Cali very comfortably. It is a Viper Coupe with front and rear downforce, different shocks (adjustable KGBs) and better tires (Pilot Cups). Otherwise it is the same as any '08 coupe.

You have air, stereo, sound dampening, same seats, belts and instruments. The power train is the same, as are the brakes. It just happens to be a great track car, pop on the front splitter and you're off, 8 screws. I ran with a GTR at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway but unfortunately he was more interested in showing it off rather then racing, really a shame, it woulda been fun. A couple of pics:

Name:  0011.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  152.2 KB
Old 08-29-2008, 04:54 AM
GTR Member

Well Nissan held off on production of the V spec which it did a 7:25 so when they do release it I'm sure it will be only faster and better should give the ACR a good run.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/v/08nxInpgTGc

"Talking to Corvette ZR1 engineer Jim Mero during our first drive of the car at GM's proving grounds, we asked him about his record-setting lap of the Nürburgring. He told us if you inspect the video, you can see he probably could have shaved at least half a second off the 7:26.4 lap time if he had just taken a few of the turns better. "

http://jalopnik.com/5039885/jim-mero...nrburgring-lap

Guess the vette is maxed out.

Last edited by Working; 08-29-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 PM

VCA vid

http://www.kcvca.com/ACR_1.wmv
Old 08-30-2008, 12:23 AM
GTR Senior Member

Impressive time; beyond impressive to be honest. Nissan is now having to play catch-up. Looks like the big threat to closed lap fame is Dodge, not GM.

But you're either a Viper person or you're not, in my opinion. Maybe it's must me... but I don't really get it. Even when I see them at cars-n-coffee meets, I'm not really.... it's just not my thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oh man... we got slayed. Viper 7:22 at the Ring