General General forums for the GTR community.

Tips for negotiating...

Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 AM
GTR Member

Tips for negotiating...

So, in the last 4 weeks, I've had a few conversations with Nissan dealers about GT-Rs. While I've got a car coming later this year, I've still been looking. My theory being, "if I find a car available sooner at MSRP I'll buy it and give up the car I have coming in..." Of course, in that 4 weeks, I've found a few cars at MSRP, but none of them Premium, Silver cars so I did not jump.

Now, I've got a few cars. A few that SHOULD have cost over MSRP, but didn't. In the case of the Italian cars, it's about loyalty and respect, so no games. In the case of the Ford GT, R8, RS4, and the GT-R, it's about patience and stoic negotiation.

Here's 5 tips for negotiating your GT-R deal:

1) Don't call. Go to a showroom. If they have a car go there and be seen. Despite the fact that all of us under the age of 30 can conduct most of our business online, Johnny car dealer still sends email in ALL CAPS because they don't know how to do business online.

2) Don't front. Don't go in with your Prada sneakers. Don't go in with ripped jeans and a stained shirt. Don't roll in with your heavily worked STi. Don't roll in with your 911 Turbo with TechArt wheels. Be as unremarkable as you can be without standing out in any way. Be as average as you can be. Like going to court.

3) Remain calm. It's hard because the thing is hot as hell and you want it. But stay focused. Don't speak too much. If there's silence when talking to the salesman, don't break the silence with chatter. Be firm and matter-of-fact without being a ****. Never say, "What does this car cost?" say "What are you asking for this car?" When they tell you something over MSRP, reach in to your pocket, hand him a business card and say, "If you still have the car in a week, call me." or "When you're ready to sell the car at MSRP, call me." They won't let you turn and walk out... (Unless you are in an overly-wealthy part of town) and if they do, you're better off.

4) Find an aggressive salesman. That's right. Someone who wants to sell a car NOW. These guys will actually work for you,if you convince them that you are willing AND able to buy the car NOW. They will fight to get you the deal. You buy the car, they get paid now. It's the sales manager that is more patient. That guy normally doesn't care and can wait... but with car sales being somewhat sporadic across the country they can be convinced to forego tomorrow's "bonus" on that GT-R in the showroom to make this month's numbers. Remember when talking to the salesman to stay focused on the car at the price you want.

5) Never waiver. Know what you want. Know what you want to pay. When they start making offers, don't be disrespectful. Stand your ground. Be firm. "I'm sorry, but I'm not paying a premium for this car." If it' snot going your way rapidly, then move on.

These tactics are not guarantees that you'll get the car at the price you want, but I've seen a LOT of younger buyers (I'm only 33, so I'm not old-old) make some VERY basic mistakes that cost them some bucks. Salesmen prey on desire no matter what they're selling! (Ask all those chumps who wait on line for a day when new iPhones come out!)

Good luck. Hang in there. There are cars out there at MSRP...
Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 AM
GTR Senior Member

#4 doesn't really apply to the GT-R since only one guy at the dealership can sell the car. When I went to the dealership back in February the salesperson who ran out toward me totally changed his expression when I mentioned the GT-R.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by EmilGH
3) say "What are you asking for this car?" When they tell you something over MSRP, reach in to your pocket, hand him a business card and say, "If you still have the car in a week, call me." or "When you're ready to sell the car at MSRP, call me." They won't let you turn and walk out.

Really?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 PM

I am going to try the first part, but without just walking away. Would try to talk with them more and let them know you are ready to buy and sincered.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Well, whatever you do don't bother trying to negotiate with Soloman at Rosenthal Nissan in Tyson's Corner VA. He wont even show up to talk to you.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM

What happened at soloman?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:23 AM

http://forums.gtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=1325 or read any of their reviews online.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Catapult5
#4 doesn't really apply to the GT-R since only one guy at the dealership can sell the car. When I went to the dealership back in February the salesperson who ran out toward me totally changed his expression when I mentioned the GT-R.
That is because 90% of people coming to look at the gtr are not qualified buyers....the attitude will once again change as soon as we see you are qualified....esecially if their store uses an up system....one stroker looking at the gtr can keep you from even getting in front of another customer for that whole day....
Old 10-08-2008, 06:24 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by evo8rcr
That is because 90% of people coming to look at the gtr are not qualified buyers....the attitude will once again change as soon as we see you are qualified....esecially if their store uses an up system....one stroker looking at the gtr can keep you from even getting in front of another customer for that whole day....
Not what I meant, I put money down on the car that same day for the first car to get to the dealership. The GM had a list of "potential buyers" that he pushed at the beginning but when he knew I actually had the means to pay he took my my money. The list is how this dealership weeded out the real buyers.