GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

GTR brake job cost $8000

Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 PM

GTR brake job cost $8000

Just found out that replacing front pads only is not an option on a GTR. In other words, and to quote the Nissan Service Manager, Japan recommends that all pads and rotors be changed at the same time even if only the front pads are worn out. And the cost . . . $8000. Has anyone heard about this rather significant maintenance cost for a 2009 or 2010 GTR?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM
GTR Senior Member

I heard way back/read in press releases from Nissan Japan, almost 2 years ago now --a list of suggested MSRP and items for replacement and costs. And I flipped out when I realized how pricey maintaining the car is IN and OUT of warranty.

I have known too that Nissan recommends/requires you change basically everything at the same time, something I find totally ludicrous. I was not aware of a finalized/real-word out the door price. I knew it was in the thousands to do a brake job, but not that much only for the front.

$8000 wow. That is like working on a Ferrari. You have to be quite well--off to even do routine maintenance on the GT-R.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:00 PM

I do agree with you. It is a beyond ludicrous - it is theft. Regarldess, you can buy very comparable rotors and pads for all four wheels for about $2500. Check out speedforsale.com. Take care, Nir
Old 12-25-2009, 12:13 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shtolni
I do agree with you. It is a beyond ludicrous - it is theft. Regarldess, you can buy very comparable rotors and pads for all four wheels for about $2500. Check out speedforsale.com. Take care, Nir
thank you, Nir, for that info
Old 01-29-2010, 01:07 AM
GTR Member

Does anyone have a maintenance price list? I heard that tires alone were $900 a piece and the exhaust was $20,000, oil changes were about $110.00 I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure to put aside for maintenance costs.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:43 PM

i changed both of the front tires for about $1100 including sales taxes and installation at Vaden Nisssan In Savannah Georgia. Both of the rear tires are about $ 100 more .I wish i bought the tires from somewhere else because the dealer charger about $100-$150 more on each tire. search online and u will find them cheaper. And I don't understand how they ruined my rims. they left scratches all around the edge of the rims after they installed the new tires. I paid around $ 83 for oil change.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:52 AM

Give it another year or so and more aftermarket companies will come out with brake pad and rotors options for these cars. Indeed the price now for stock parts is ridiculous!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 AM

Aftermarket brakes

Just bought my (first!) GT-R and this is my first post ... woot!

Town North Nissan here in Austin [1] told me one customer had dropped $12k on brakes ... I think Nissan is marking parts (even tyres) up by rather a lot in order to recoup some of the cost of the car.

I presume if I do the brakes myself and use OEM (Brembo) parts there is no way they can pull any warranty BS on me? Sorry to seem paranoid, this is also the first car I've had that was new enough to carry a manufacturer's warranty :-)

Another point here - we're talking about 18 month old cars, how are they needing brakes? Are the pads just cream cheese soft, or are a few owners tracking the things constantly?

If the pads are silly soft ... the OE brakes look like standard Brembo competition calipers, like you might put on a Group A stage rally car ... is it possible to source uprated pads from Brembo directly as a motorsport part? The dealer told me that there is no Nissan USA part number for an uprated pad.

On the subject of tyres, the Bridgestone franchise here in Austin quoted me around $450 a tyre all-in with fitting and tax for the front, $500 for the back (yes I am thorough, this is an expensive toy for me). Price of getting them from TireRack and having them fitted (about $35 each last I checked) is similar. Never buy tyres from a car dealer :-b

Cheers
Dave

[1] admittedly, it was the new car sales guy trying to talk me into paying $85k + TTL for a 2011, not likely dude!

[2] A number of years ago I had a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (poor man's Skyline of the day) and the factory brakes were ... crap. I put Brembo bads and discs in the original factory calipers and life was much better, cheaper too when you don't have to do them every 18 months. Should I do the same with the Nissan?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Anyone who goes to the dealer for wear & tear parts (brakes) will get screwed. Unless you have unlimited funds, go to a trusted mechanic. As for brakes and other stuff, call Justin at JSCSpeed.com. I've been using them for a variety of aftermarket parts...cheap, in stock and great customer service! Good luck!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 PM

What is so expensive? The pads? The rotors? This makes no sense, it is more expensive then brakes on my AMG car...

I would imagine aftermarket pads / rotors are the way to go...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GTR brake job cost $8000